Peatland Assessment in SE Asia by Satellite (PASSES) – provides two satellite-derived products: PeatMotion and PeatCover. PeatMotion provides landscape scale observations of peat surface motion. PeatCover provides a characterisation of the landscape which aids in interpretation of the PeatMotion.
PASSES products inform low carbon development programmes, enhanced peatland restoration planning and assessment, plantation-scale water management strategies and plantation-scale evidence of sustainability compliance.
- PeatMotion and PeatCover products offer a cost effective option for routine monitoring over very wide, often inaccessible areas of tropical peatland.
- PeatMotion observations provide regional-scale insights into peatland condition, enabling better planning and prioritisation of restoration interventions.
- PeatMotion products provide proxy observations for water table depth:
- Routine monitoring of water table depth contributes to an improved capability for determining regulatory compliance.Wide area monitoring of water table depth enables assessment of the effectiveness of restoration interventions.Maintaining appropriate water table depth balances productivity with CO2 emissions and fire risk.
- PeatCover products provide landscape context which aid with interpretation of the PeatMotion.
- Routine observations of peat surface motion in remote, vegetated areas from satellite is highly innovative and for peatland, is unique to PASSES.
Key technical features
- PeatMotion and PeatCover are derived from Sentinel-1 radar imagery. Radar is unaffected by cloud, ensuring reliable observations and consistent monitoring.
- Sentinel-1 imagery is available free and open, contributing to a cost effective monitoring capability.
- PeatMotion products are imagery intensive, requiring substantial volumes of satellite data. PASSES is enabled on a state-of-the-art cloud-hosted processing platform optimising overall production efficiency.
- PASSES monitoring can be systematic, requiring minimal operator intervention.
- PeatMotion products are currently produced at 50m resolution.
- PeatMotion products currently provide average peat surface motion, and are updated every 12 months
- PeatCover products are produced at 20m resolution and are also updated every 12 months.
- PASSES products are available for discovery and download via a web interface for subscribed users. Users require a connection to the internet to access PASSES products.
PASSES has successfully demonstrated the capability to generate preliminary products. These preliminary products are now being refined and utility demonstrated through a number of use cases. These will include: informing certifications for Verified Sourcing Areas, informing environmental profiling for Landscape Approach analyses, informing Peatland Restoration Intervention assessments and plantation-scale water management programmes and drainability assessment.
CGI is the 5th largest IT services company in the world operating across a broad range of industries, including over 40 years’ heritage in the space industry. CGI builds and delivers complex, mission-critical space systems. Our solutions are secure, often in complex technical environments, proven
to work first time, every time, ultra-reliable and delivered on time to avoid costly delays.