SatComms for Rural Health Services from Inmarsat is extending the reach of basic medical services into remote areas, without mobile coverage or internet access by delivering professional training, data collection and disease monitoring using Inmarsat’s Broadband Global Area Network (BGAN) satellite communications technology.
- Extension of basic medical services into remote areas of the country that lack mobile coverage.
- Video-based health worker training, improved health systems management and governance using an information system application and improved disease surveillance capabilities.
- Improved health systems management and governance using an information system application connected to the internet.
Key technical features
- Satellite connectivity will be provided by BGAN, accessed by a local tablet with a patient record application (Clinipak) and a medical healthcare video training application (VTR).
- A local Wi-Fi network is installed with access to a variety of Wi-Fi-enabled devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops.
- Works across many device types including Wi-Fi- enabled feature phones, smartphones, tablets, PCs and laptops.
Deployed in Nigeria, supported by IPP, across 75 sites in Kano, Lagos and Ondo states as well as the Federal Capital Territory, bringing the national standards and tools of healthcare to the most remote areas. The solution includes a digital patient record system (Clinipak) and video-based training application (VTR) available in connected parts of the country but in this case enabled by Inmarsat communications technology. The solution helps to close the challenge of the digital divide to improve healthcare at the last mile. It also enables health workers to better support their patients and support state and national government health objectives.
As the pioneer and world leader in mobile satellite communications, Inmarsat has been powering global connectivity for nearly four decades. We provide governments, commercial enterprises and humanitarian organisations with mission-critical voice and high-speed data communications on land, at sea and in the air.